This paper plate bird nest is a delightful spring kids craft that is fun to make with just a few supplies.
Spring is so full of color and life it’s the perfect season for making fun crafts with the kids. There are so many great ideas for paper plate spring kids crafts, but I wanted to share something that would be fun and simple for parents to do at home, but also an easy craft for teachers and homeschoolers to incorporate into their spring lesson plans.
(This post contains affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission if you click a link and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.)
I was inspired by these kids books that are perfect for Spring:
Paper Plate Birds Nest Craft for Kids
What you’ll need:
- two 6″ uncoated paper plates
- watercolor paint
- white crayon or oil pastel
- blue pom poms, 1 large and three small
- googly eyes
- orange cardstock or craft foam
- liquid glue
- shredded newspaper
How to Make the Paper Plate Bird Nest
Ok, so at first glance this might look light a bunch of steps. Rest assured, it’s only because I took photos of every.single.part. This project is actually pretty easy and straightforward. You paint the plates, make the birds, glue it all together, and you’re done! However, there are lots of process shots here in case you get hung up on any part.
I hope you and your kids enjoy making your bird nests!
Part 1: Paint the background
- First, cut one of your plates in half and set it aside.
- On the plate that is still whole, use your crayon to draw a pattern of your choice. We made some with clouds, with loops (shown), dots, and star shapes. It’s totally up to you!
- Then, use the blue watercolor to paint the entire plate
Part 2: Paint the nest
- Now take the half plate
- Use your white crayon to draw a crosshatch pattern over it
- Then paint the entire thing with brown paint
- Set the two plates aside now to dry and go on to making the birds
Part 3: Make the birds
- Collect the pom poms for however many birds you’d like to make (we made one mama bird and three babies for each nest)
- Glue the googly eyes onto the pom pom
- Cut a small orange triangle from your orange paper
- Glue the longest side of the triangle between the eyes of the bird
Part 4: Assemble all the pieces
- Glue the nest (half-plate) onto the background (full plate)
- Make sure it’s dry before moving on
- You can use some newspaper or magazine shredding to stuff into the pocket of the nest, just as Mama bird would!
- Then dab some glue onto the pom pom birds so they stay in place when you put them in their nest
Those little babies are so cute, and really get me excited about Spring.
This is a great craft to include with lessons about Spring in general, or lessons on birds and bird nests.
Or, you can always just make it because it’s fun and cute…like we did!
More Spring Kids Crafts
We’re ready to inspire you with lots of fun ideas for Spring and I really think you’ll enjoy some of our other fun crafts and activities for kids:
- 10 more Spring Paper Plate Crafts for Kids
- 25 Bunny Craft Ideas
- 50 Rainy Day Kids Games and Activities
If you enjoyed this spring kids craft, please share this post. Click here to save to Pinterest.