I’ve pulled together 50 favorite camping recipes that are so good cooked over a fire you may just find yourself wanting eat camp food all the time. You’ll find delicious dinner recipes using foil packs, dutch ovens, and roasting skewers.
(Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links which means I may earn a small fee if you click through and make a purchase. This helps support this blog at no cost to you. Thanks!)
Meal Prepping and Cooler Packing
New to cooking your meals camp-side? Read these tips first:
- Having your veggies and meats cut ahead of time will save you time.
- Pre-mix your marinades and store them in tightly sealed containers so they’re ready to go. Marinade bags or plastic containers work well. Glass containers tend to add a lot of weight.
- Carry the spices you need in a repurposed pill box or you can get a nice travel spice holder.
- Freeze your water before packing in your cooler to use as extra ice.
- Freeze your meat before going camping and keep at the bottom of the cooler until you are ready to thaw them out for use.
- A good cooler will serve you well. We’ve had great experience with our Coleman Extreme cooler. This particular model is one of the highest rated and is a good size for a family.
Foil Packet Camping Dinners
Things to know if you’re new to foil packet cooking:
- Foil packet camping dinners are super convenient because there are no dishes involved (besides the meal prep) which means very little clean-up afterwards.
- There are different ways to fold your foil pack depending on what you’re cooking. You can read this guide to learn the different methods.
- Use heavy duty aluminum foil for best results.
- You’ll need a pair of tongs or heat resistant gloves to flip the foil pack over.
17 Foil Pack Dinner Recipes For Campfire Cooking
- Mixed Mushroom Hobo Foil Pack recipe from Martha Stewart
- BBQ Chicken Foil Packs from Pillsbury
- Grilled Chicken Fajita Foil Packet Meal from Real House Moms
- Southwest Chicken Foil Packet from Everyday Dishes
- Grilled Foil Pack Cheesy Fries from Tablespoon
- Whole Wheat Pasta Packet Recipe with Goat Cheese from Cook in Canuck
- Cheesy Sausage Potato Foil Packets from The Recipe Critic
- Grilled Meat N Potatoes Foil Packets from Thrifty DIY Diva
- Hamburger and Potato Hobo Dinner Packets from Spend with Pennies
- Campfire Tex Mex White Bean Chicken Foil Packets from The Kichen Magpie
- Salmon and Asparagus Foil Packets from Cooking Classy
- Baked Ranch Pork Chops and Potatoes foil pack dinner from Buns in My Oven
- Foil Packet Fajitas from The Shirley Journey
- Asian Chicken Vegetable Foil Packets from Two Peas and Their Pod
- Foil Pack Sausage with Potatoes and Green Beans from All Recipes
- Bacon Ranch Potatoes Packets from Gather for Bread
- Pork Chop and Sweet Potato Foil Packets from Ready Set Eat
Dutch Oven Camp Cooking
Tips for Dutch Oven Camp Cooking
- If you haven’t purchased your dutch oven yet, make sure you get one with legs on the bottom so you can position coals underneath.
- Make sure it is seasoned before you use it (this video will show you how).
- Never use soap to clean your cast iron cookware. Never use cold water on a hot pan. Always dry completely to prevent rusting.
- You can purchase a lid lifter to easily lift a hot lid.
- Use a stand like this to use your Dutch Oven lid as a griddle for pancakes or frying hamburgers.
- Keep the lid off and use it as a skillet. Put the lid on, and you can use it just like an oven for desserts, breads, and casseroles.
- Line your pot with foil when cooking sticky foods for easier cleanup.
Here are 17 must-try dutch oven camping dinner recipes:
- Dutch Oven Chicken Marbella from Fresh Off the Grid
- Campfire Chili with Cornbread Crust from Honestly Yum
- Rice with Sausage and Black beans from 3 Guys Outside
- Dutch Oven Baked Ziti from My Magic Recipe
- Sprite Chicken recipe from Fabulessly Frugal
- Dutch Oven Chicken Chicken Provencal Stew from Design Mom
- Campfire Nachos from Fresh Off the Grid
- Dutch Oven Hawaiian Chicken from Iron Cooker
- Dutch Oven BBQ Ribs from Camping for Foodies
- Dutch Oven Jambalaya from 50 Campfires
- Camp Recipe Pork Chili Verde from Marking My Territory
- Campfire Macaroni and Cheese from Simple Bites
- Dutch Oven Camp Pizza from Let’s Camp S’more
- Campfire Red Beans and Rice from Eighty Twenty
- Dutch Oven Enchiladas from Fresh Off the Grid
- BBQ Dutch Oven Chicken and Potatoes from Clarks Condensed
- Bratwurst with Apple and Onions from Camping Recipes
Skewers, Kababs, and Food on a Stick
Cooking food on a stick is fun, fun, fun! Some foods you can simply pop on the end of a stick or skewer. Others are more time consuming, so you might want to cook them on a grate over the coals of your campfire.
16 Fun and Tasty Skewer Camping Recipes
- Hot Dog on a Stick from Delish
- Lemon Garlic Shrimp Kabobs from Damn Delicious
- Grilled Sausage Veggie Kabobs from Grilling Outdoor Recipes
- Simple Steak Kabobs from Barbara Bakes
- Grilled Salmon Kebobs from My Invisible Crown
- Zucchini Cauliflower Skewers from Delish
- Pesto Chicken and Tomato Kebabs from Skinny Taste
- Grilled Tandori Chicken from Closet Cooking
- Grilled Steak Potato and Mushroom Kabobs from Lets Dish Recipes
- Herbed Lemon Garlic Chicken Skewers from The Recipe Critic
- Skirt Steak Skewers from Simply Recipes
- Pizza on a Stick from Penn Live
More Camping Related Posts
I’ll be posting more delicious camping recipes for breakfast and dessert, so make sure you subscribe to get our updates.
Also, get a printable camping checklist so you know what to bring to your next camp out with kids. It’s packed with info to make sure everyone has a good time.