I’ve pulled together 50 favorite camping recipes that are so good cooked over a fire you may just find yourself wanting eat camp food all the time. You’ll find delicious dinner recipes using foil packs, dutch ovens, and roasting skewers.
(Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links which means I may earn a small fee if you click through and make a purchase. This helps support this blog at no cost to you. Thanks!)
Meal Prepping and Cooler Packing
New to cooking your meals camp-side? Read these tips first:
- Having your veggies and meats cut ahead of time will save you time.
- Pre-mix your marinades and store them in tightly sealed containers so they’re ready to go. Marinade bags or plastic containers work well. Glass containers tend to add a lot of weight.
- Carry the spices you need in a repurposed pill box or you can get a nice travel spice holder.
- Freeze your water before packing in your cooler to use as extra ice.
- Freeze your meat before going camping and keep at the bottom of the cooler until you are ready to thaw them out for use.
- A good cooler will serve you well. We’ve had great experience with our Coleman Extreme cooler. This particular model is one of the highest rated and is a good size for a family.
Foil Packet Camping Dinners
Things to know if you’re new to foil packet cooking:
- Foil packet camping dinners are super convenient because there are no dishes involved (besides the meal prep) which means very little clean-up afterwards.
- There are different ways to fold your foil pack depending on what you’re cooking. You can read this guide to learn the different methods.
- Use heavy duty aluminum foil for best results.
- You’ll need a pair of tongs or heat resistant gloves to flip the foil pack over.
17 Foil Pack Dinner Recipes For Campfire Cooking
- Mixed Mushroom Hobo Foil Pack recipe from Martha Stewart
- BBQ Chicken Foil Packs from Pillsbury
- Grilled Chicken Fajita Foil Packet Meal from Real House Moms
- Southwest Chicken Foil Packet from Everyday Dishes
- Grilled Foil Pack Cheesy Fries from Tablespoon
- Whole Wheat Pasta Packet Recipe with Goat Cheese from Cook in Canuck
- Cheesy Sausage Potato Foil Packets from The Recipe Critic
- Grilled Meat N Potatoes Foil Packets from Thrifty DIY Diva
- Hamburger and Potato Hobo Dinner Packets from Spend with Pennies
- Campfire Tex Mex White Bean Chicken Foil Packets from The Kichen Magpie
- Salmon and Asparagus Foil Packets from Cooking Classy
- Baked Ranch Pork Chops and Potatoes foil pack dinner from Buns in My Oven
- Foil Packet Fajitas from The Shirley Journey
- Asian Chicken Vegetable Foil Packets from Two Peas and Their Pod
- Foil Pack Sausage with Potatoes and Green Beans from All Recipes
- Bacon Ranch Potatoes Packets from Gather for Bread
- Pork Chop and Sweet Potato Foil Packets from Ready Set Eat
Dutch Oven Camp Cooking
Tips for Dutch Oven Camp Cooking
- If you haven’t purchased your dutch oven yet, make sure you get one with legs on the bottom so you can position coals underneath.
- Make sure it is seasoned before you use it (this video will show you how).
- Never use soap to clean your cast iron cookware. Never use cold water on a hot pan. Always dry completely to prevent rusting.
- You can purchase a lid lifter to easily lift a hot lid.
- Use a stand like this to use your Dutch Oven lid as a griddle for pancakes or frying hamburgers.
- Keep the lid off and use it as a skillet. Put the lid on, and you can use it just like an oven for desserts, breads, and casseroles.
- Line your pot with foil when cooking sticky foods for easier cleanup.
Here are 17 must-try dutch oven camping dinner recipes:
- Dutch Oven Chicken Marbella from Fresh Off the Grid
- Campfire Chili with Cornbread Crust from Honestly Yum
- Rice with Sausage and Black beans from 3 Guys Outside
- Dutch Oven Baked Ziti from My Magic Recipe
- Sprite Chicken recipe from Fabulessly Frugal
- Dutch Oven Chicken Chicken Provencal Stew from Design Mom
- Campfire Nachos from Fresh Off the Grid
- Dutch Oven Hawaiian Chicken from Iron Cooker
- Dutch Oven BBQ Ribs from Camping for Foodies
- Dutch Oven Jambalaya from 50 Campfires
- Camp Recipe Pork Chili Verde from Marking My Territory
- Campfire Macaroni and Cheese from Simple Bites
- Dutch Oven Camp Pizza from Let’s Camp S’more
- Campfire Red Beans and Rice from Eighty Twenty
- Dutch Oven Enchiladas from Fresh Off the Grid
- BBQ Dutch Oven Chicken and Potatoes from Clarks Condensed
- Bratwurst with Apple and Onions from Camping Recipes
Skewers, Kababs, and Food on a Stick
Cooking food on a stick is fun, fun, fun! Some foods you can simply pop on the end of a stick or skewer. Others are more time consuming, so you might want to cook them on a grate over the coals of your campfire.
16 Fun and Tasty Skewer Camping Recipes
- Hot Dog on a Stick from Delish
- Lemon Garlic Shrimp Kabobs from Damn Delicious
- Grilled Sausage Veggie Kabobs from Grilling Outdoor Recipes
- Simple Steak Kabobs from Barbara Bakes
- Grilled Salmon Kebobs from My Invisible Crown
- Zucchini Cauliflower Skewers from Delish
- Pesto Chicken and Tomato Kebabs from Skinny Taste
- Grilled Tandori Chicken from Closet Cooking
- Grilled Steak Potato and Mushroom Kabobs from Lets Dish Recipes
- Herbed Lemon Garlic Chicken Skewers from The Recipe Critic
- Skirt Steak Skewers from Simply Recipes
- Pizza on a Stick from Penn Live
More Camping Related Posts
I’ll be posting more delicious camping recipes for breakfast and dessert, so make sure you subscribe to get our updates.
Also, check out my post on what to bring to your next camp out with kids. It’s packed with info to make sure everyone has a good time.